Thursday, December 16, 2010

How Do You Say Goodbye to a Friend?

Seems like we are forever saying goodbyes in December.  Our beloved Prince went to the vet today, and we got the call that he has congestive heart failure along with a number of other things.  He is miserable and tired and just plain old. 

So we are left with a hard decision.  Do we put him to sleep, or do we keep him with us and let him go naturally?  It feels wrong to me to decide to euthanize him, but it also feels incredibly selfish to keep him here with us while he is in so much pain.  And then there is the issue of the kids.  Lovely L is likely to have a break-down either way, and Miss P and Awesome A won't understand what we are doing, and if they do, how will they feel about it?  Will they think that if they get too sick or too old, we'll put them to sleep too?  Rockin Writer has had him since she was a baby... she even named him. How do we break the news to them about their beloved Prince?  I am overwhelmed with sadness and fear.  I am so worried that we will do the wrong thing, both for him and for the kids, not to mention Josh and I. How do you say goodbye to a friend?  How do you go on with all the holiday hoopla when your heart hurts so much?

1 comment:

  1. So sorry :( What a heartbreaker. I'm a firm believer in not making animals suffer - I grew up in the farm/ranch country so I was around the act of making those type of decisions all the time - so I think that does make it easier for me. BUT still it's so tough.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    Sincerely, Sami Jo

    ps. I'm your stocking swap mama - I forgot to put my blog address on my card. :)

    ReplyDelete